Thursday, April 1, 2010

I dare you to define 'humor'

On a recent visit to Pie and Biscuits, I, along with other readers, was invited to watch a video of an ad. I won't say anything more about that ad except that the owner of the blog told us how funny she'd found it.

Well, I bit the bait of course and watched the ad. I found it funny enough but couldn't help thinking of other ads and other recorded incidents that have left me bent over double in suicidally uncontrollable laughter. Let me give you an example of one such.




So, anyways, watching this video again caused me to ponder, again, over this hard-to-define thing called humor, which incidentally, I was taught at school and at university, that other animals don't have. 

Well, I beg to differ. I am absolutely convinced my dog laughs when I set up a barricade to prevent her from getting to the front door.  Why wouldn't she?  She has never failed to get past it. Never, no matter how I vary the configuration or the components.

As for my cat, well, his humor is so dry I'm sure he goes to the Wickham every evening to wet his whistle.

But, as usual, I digress.  The point in question is: What is this thing called humor?

Dictionary Online defines it as
"a comic, absurd, or incongruous quality causing amusement: the humor of a situation.", while The Free Dictionary gives us this definition:
" The quality that makes something laughable or amusing; funniness:"

And all that is very well, but what exactly is this 'quality'? Can you shed some light?  Or if you can't, can you share one of your funniest, most humorous video or story?  You can never have too much humor, I don't think.

And here's some fun and  funny stuff from Amazon:

Powell Furniture Sunday Funnies Kids Desk Set  Powell Sunday Funnies Loft Bunk Bed

Incredibly Cute Jumbo Funny Frog Money Bank Piggy  Momiji Randoms Dolls Collection -- Funny Girl  Adult One Night Stand Funny Costume  

Cheech & Chong Doobie Incense Holder Party  Funny Frog Tiffany Accent Lamp

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails