Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Do you need discipline?

There are some words I find myself feeling disagreeable toward. One of them is discipline. (Another is laziness. PS Have you checked out my most recent blogs - The 4am Orgasm and Picture a Poem ?)

I suppose you won't find it hard to understand why I find 'discipline' a somewhat disagreeable word.  It's a package of bitter meanings such as hard work, punishment and all round, unpleasantness.  I don't believe the purpose of my life is to suffer any of these.

But the word and the meanings which inhabit it are used widely and deliberately and almost religiously because, somehow, there is somthing virtuous about discipline.

Personally, I don't feel I need or want discipline.  But I do want to be productive and efficient.  I do want to use my life well so that I am living it with more ease, more joy, more creativity. 

Now some people might claim that I can only achieve that with discipline or greater discipline.  I'd like to think, and have noticed, that doing things I truly enjoy as often as I can does the trick rather nicely for me. 

It so happens that I can see purpose in doing almost all the things I enjoy.  Actually, I don't think there is anything that I enjoy that I don't find purposeful, even if the purpose is only my enjoyment!

And I find that I tend to do these things with a high degree of consistency.  The fact that I enjoy doing them and/or enjoy the effects of doing them (like the cleanliness and tidiness of my unit when I clean and tidy it) is the reason why I am able to maintain such consistency.

How about you?  Are you motivated by the call of discipline? Or the fear of lacking it??? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails